Then and Now – A Personal Experience of Changes in an Emergency Room


Photo courtesy of Chealion

Last night I had to call 911 when my heart went into atrial fibrillation for two hours. It had happened four years ago and I was taken to the same ER, so it gave me the basis for comparison between then and now.

The first difference began with the arrival of the paramedics. The last time they assessed me in my home; this time it was in the ambulance parked outside my home. I was freezing by the time they got me into the ambulance on the stretcher so it was difficult to get the catheter in the vein in my hand for the IV line, as my hand was so cold. The assessment also seemed to take a lot longer. They were having trouble getting my blood pressure and I was concerned that it seemed more important than getting me to the hospital.

However, it was at the hospital that I noticed the biggest change. Four years ago I was taken immediately into the ER with three people waiting to get me into my stretcher/bed on the count. This time I was taken to triage where I waited and waited. When I commented on the change, the paramedics, with obvious frustration, said, “Don’t ask.”

The paramedics were concerned about this delay as my rapid heart rate (150-180) and atrial fibrillation were putting a strain on my heart. The paramedics had to wait with me in the ER hallway while I waited for a space to become available in the ER ward. I very much appreciated their help and company. It beat waiting by yourself on a stretcher in the hallway of an emergency room, which I have experienced. At least I knew I wasn’t forgotten. This time I had two people to keep me company, reassure and advocate for me and find me a bedpan and privacy when needed.

These paramedics were dedicated professionals, concerned for my well being while working within the constraints of a health system that has had so much money drained from it that it isn’t functioning as it should or even as well as it once did.

After waiting an hour I finally got into a bed in the ER and my paramedic companions were free to leave, ready for the next call. I was quickly hooked up to a monitor, a second line of fluid added, an ECG run and blood work taken. Fortunately, soon after the transfer, the atrial fibrillation reverted.

I had two visits with a doctor. He sat down in the chair beside me. It may have been a chance for him to get off his feet, but combined with his kind, attentive manner, it communicated to me, “I have time for you, am concerned for you and am here to help you.” I can’t remember an emergency room doctor doing that before. On the second visit, he brought my file  and had familiarized himself with it, confirming the history and dates I had relayed.

He reassured me that I had done exactly the right thing to come to emergency and to do the same should the need arise. He told me what he was writing down and as he handed me my report, he said I wouldn’t be able to understand it, but my doctor would. I informed him that I had worked with a doctor and had deciphered many illegible ER reports. He smiled.

Once I was out of the hall, the rest of my time there was pretty much the same as four years ago, except that my stay was much longer then, as the A-fib reverted only after seven hours and three different meds.

Some things in the ER never change. You observe a multigrain slice of life: a man spewing out expletives and threats at the staff trying to help him was hastily wheeled by me on a stretcher while I was waiting in the hallway; the elderly with DNR orders lying in beds alongside those in the prime of life, suddenly taken seriously ill. An ashen young woman who had been hemorrhaging fainted as she passed my bed, trying to walk supported to the washroom.

When I was set free to go, on my own, of course, a little shaky and worse for wear, I passed through a packed waiting room, filled with people facing the prospect of a wait much longer than mine. I note with regret the erosion of our health care system, but am thankful I didn’t even have to consider how I was going to pay for an expensive but necessary trip to the ER. I didn’t have to worry if my carrier would cover the expenses and if I would be able to afford the deductible, if it was covered. I didn’t have to sign any invoices on the way out. I simply walked out. All I have to do is look to the south and realize how fortunate I, and all those waiting for care in Emergency last night were.

March 1, 2011: Why I waited 1 hour for treatment: http://www.atv.ca/london/news_75432.aspx


5 comments on “Then and Now – A Personal Experience of Changes in an Emergency Room

  1. The best news in all of that is that you are home and OK again! What a scare. Glad the paramedics waited with you. Stay well.

  2. Whew. There’s nothing more than a trip to the emergency room for an immediate sanity check. Nothing — and I mean nothing — cements your perspective faster.

    I’m so glad that the physician who took care of you 1) read your chart and 2) listened.

    Those two gestures are what – as patients – we hope for. Then we hope they know their medicine.

    Take care:) And thanks so much for a narrative too many of us can relate to.

  3. Thank-you, Jody, for your thoughtful comments, born of your own personal experience, I know. May the doctors and other health care workers in our future bring the same qualities to this profession.

  4. Great post! The last time I visited the London ER I listened to countless visitors who complained about no being allowed to stand by their loved ones who were waiting for treatment in hallways. I didn’t know who to feel worse for, the desperate patients and their visitors or the ER staff that were forced to reply politely to everyone that they could not meet their needs.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s